Talk Back 137
The Universe is Finely Tuned for Life
by: Hira Rose
Editor's note: I have taken the extremely lengthy email sent to me, re-arranged it somewhat for at least a degree of coherence and logical flow, and split it into three documents; Talk Back 136, Talk Back 137, and an addendum containing numerous links to Jehovahs Witness resources.
Your thoughts on this Talk Back article are welcome. Please sign in to the discussion forum below, or alternatively, use the contact page to provide your comments for publication.
Strong evidence for a Designer comes from the fine-tuning of the universal constants and the solar system, e.g.
- The electromagnetic coupling constant binds electrons to protons in atoms. If it was smaller, fewer electrons could be held. If it was larger, electrons would be held too tightly to bond with other atoms.
- Ratio of electron to proton mass (1:1836). Again, if this was larger or smaller, molecules could not form.
- Carbon and oxygen nuclei have finely tuned energy levels.
- Electromagnetic and gravitational forces are finely tuned, so the right kind of star can be stable.
- Our sun is the right colour. If it was redder or bluer, photosynthetic response would be weaker.
- Our sun is also the right mass. If it was larger, its brightness would change too quickly and there would be too much high energy radiation. If it was smaller, the range of planetary distances able to support life would be too narrow; the right distance would be so close to the star that tidal forces would disrupt the planet’s rotational period. UV radiation would also be inadequate for photosynthesis.
- The earth’s distance from the sun is crucial for a stable water cycle. Too far away, and most water would freeze; too close and most water would boil.
- The earth’s gravity, axial tilt, rotation period, magnetic field, crust thickness, oxygen/nitrogen ratio, carbon dioxide, water vapour and ozone levels are just right.
Former atheist Sir Fred Hoyle states, “commonsense interpretation of the facts is that a super-intelligence has monkeyed with physics, as well as chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces in nature.”
Have your say...
Please take a moment to share your thoughts, pro and con, on this Talk Back article.comments powered by Disqus