And the messenger system is still not working.
To open a discussion on this article, please use the contact page to provide your comments
A little while ago, I briefly wrote about Robert Weinland's prediction that The End will arrive May 27, 2012. I've already looked at how little basis there is for the various non-Christian forecasts for the world ending in 2012 (Meditation 786: 2012 and all that crap). So, the question remains, is there a basis for a Christian forecast. To understand how Weinland could make such a forecast, I downloaded his two books from his web site and read them. If nothing else, it was a way to test out my Sony Reader.
According to Weinland, God has used messengers for 6,000 years now, and for one reason or another, people have not listened to God's messengers.
Throughout the history of man’s 6,000 years on earth, God sent His prophets to tell mankind about His ways and the need to repent of their ways and turn to Him. But man is filled with such pride and self-will that, for the most part, he has not listened to God or turned to His ways. Only a very, very few through time have listened.
Nevertheless, apparently unable to learn from experience (my view, not Weinland's,) God has appointed Weinland his final messenger before the Apocalypse. Not only that, but after Weinland got almost nobody to listen to him, (meeting God's high standard for a successful messenger, I guess) God promoted him to be one of the two witnesses referred to in Revelation 11:3. Weinland firmly expects to be killed in the streets of Jerusalem in early 2012 along with his fellow unidentified witness, the two bodies left lying in the street for three and a half days while everyone in the world watches on TV, and then be resurrected and ascend bodily into heaven.
At that point, Jesus returns, everyone dies. Then the chosen 144,000 are brought back to life and live on earth for 1000 years under the rule of God. You see, God let man govern himself for 6,000 years to demonstrate to all of us we are incapable of governing ourselves. That's God's brilliant plan according to Weinland.
God is going to bring an end to 6,000 years of man’s way, man’s government, man’s religion, and man’s own self-inflicted misery. You live at the pinnacle of all human history. Before man was ever created, God purposed to allow him to have his own governments and religions for a 6,000 year period. This time has come and is almost complete. Time has run out for man!
God has exercised great patience with man, during this time, in order to accomplish great things in His ultimate purpose for him. The first phase of this plan is to help us learn, from such a long history, that we are incapable of successfully governing ourselves. All of man’s governments and religions have failed. God is giving us a great gift by letting us learn this lesson.
So because 6 billion can't govern themselves, at least to God's standards, then God will show how the job should be done by governing a small hand-picked group. Right - as if governing a small city compares to governing a world.
After the thousand years are up, the lucky 144,000 go straight to heaven, everybody else who ever lived will be brought back to life for 100 years. And the over 100 billion of us will have those 100 years to demonstrate whether we have reformed enough to go to Heaven, or we will be dead again. At least Weinland does not have us going to Hell.
Now, if you are going to believe Weinland, then you have to believe a lot of things, including:
- sense can be made out of the Revelation to John
- God has given Weinland and only Weinland to capability of understanding Revelation completely
- Exactly two churches were founded in 31 AD 
- the Roman Catholic Church from which nearly all other Christian Churches have been formed over the years, and
- the Church of God which survived as an extremely small church until Herbert W Armstrong took over, and which then split into 500 feuding factions after his death
- the Church of God is the only true Christian Church
- Robert Weinland is the leader of the only true successor to the Church of God
- Herbert W Armstrong was a modern day Elijah
- Much of the prophecy in Revelation applies to the break up of the Church of God after Armstrong's death.
- Keeping the Sabbath is the most important commandment, and those who have not kept the proper Sabbath are not going to be in the 144,000.
- the European Union will go to war with China, and their armies will meet at Megiddo in 2012
I could go on and on with the things you have to accept to credit Weinland's ability to predict End Times, but let's face it, it all breaks down on the first point I mentioned - the idea that sense can be made out of the Revelation to John.
Is there any chance Weinland is right? I'm going to turn now to a fairly specific prediction he made in his second book on the subject, God's Final Witness. It's the second last paragraph of the book:
By the fall of 2008, the United States will have collapsed as a world power, or it will have begun its collapse and no longer exist as an independent nation within six months after that time. There is a marginal, six-month window of time that God has not yet revealed concerning this specific moment of time. This will be revealed some time soon after the distribution of this book begins.
We are beyond six months after the fall (autumn) of 2008. In addition, we are beyond the six-month window that God supposedly tacked on for a margin of error. And I ask you, in January of 2010: Does the United States still exist as an independent nation?
So much for Weinland's God-given powers of interpreting Revelation.
The concluding paragraph is:
As the spokesman of God’s two end-time witnesses and as His end-time prophet, I have fulfilled my responsibility in placing the contents of this book before you. What you do with it is up to you. Indeed, only a very short time remains before it will be evident that I am who I say or that I am not. In the past 1900 years, have you ever read or heard of a publication from any religious leader who has made such claims, laying out such a precise pattern for the near future with such precise timelines? You have not! This is the evidence (witness, testimony) of the true God of Abraham!
As Weinland writes "it will be evident that I am who I say or that I am not." Possibly that is the truest part of his two books.
- Reading nonsense so you don't have to.
- The Reader is supposed to handle pdf files, along with many other formats. It did not seem to handle these two books very well, somehow adding numerous unnecessary line breaks and page breaks. It did much better after I converted Weinland's books to rtf format.
The ability to mark passages and make notes in the Sony Reader (something apparently lacking in the Kindle) was very useful for recovering quotations from the text for this article.
- and you think the Earth can't support the current nearly 7 billion adequately
- Interestingly, Harold Camping who has the Apocalypse coming a year earlier sets the date of crucifixion two years later - 33AD. No wonder these End Times people can't get their stories straight, they can't agree on a start time either.