The No-Fun Religion
Deamond, one of my occasional agnostic correspondents, sent me a link to JW Files: Research on Jehovah's Witnesses. It's an interesting site with a lot of information on the Jehovah's Witnesses, including a sorry history of their numerous failed predictions for Armagedden - starting in the late 1700s, and now expected in 2034.
One section provides an extended list of things JWs cannot do. Some examples of what is forbidden:
- Celebrate Mothers' Day or Fathers' Day
- Celebrate birthdays
- Celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Halloween, or New Years
- Join Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts
- Attend Class Reunions
- Become a Cheerleader
- Participate in sports
- Celebrate National holidays, or salute the flag
- Tell ghost stories
- Attend a wedding in another church
- Eat Lucky Charms cereal
Go down the full list, and you find that practically anything that's fun is banned.
So I think I know why they persist in knocking on my door. Harrassing non-believers is the only amusement they are allowed in life.